Community Health Worker (CHW) (Part-Time)Job open till filled
Department: Community Health Work
Reports to: Community Health Worker (CHW) Lead
Location: Varies - PCA office, remote, community-based
Pay: Hourly - Ranging from $20-$25/hour
Hours: 20 hours/week
Community Health Workers are frontline public health workers who are trusted members and/or have a close understanding of the community served. This trusting relationship enables CHWs to serve as a liaison/link between health and social services to improve the quality and cultural competence of service delivery.
This Community Health Worker will have a strong knowledge of available resources to link Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islanders to needed programs and will make warm handoffs to service providers when possible. CHWs work directly with clients, families, and health care personnel to support the Native Hawaiian/Pacific Island (NHPI) community. In addition, the CHW will work with their CHW team to provide education and outreach to community members around chronic disease prevention, management, and other health promotion activities.
Qualifications & Skills
- Strong background in understanding Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander (NHPI) culture, understanding of cultural values and beliefs of the community
- Education: Equivalent to completion of the 12th grade
- Experience: Minimum of two years of experience in community outreach services, health information, advocacy, social support, and assistance in using the health care system to groups and families; AND experience working with the NHPI community
- Certification as a Community Health Worker preferred, but not required.
- Strongly encouraged to be fluent in a NHPI language and/or have proficient cultural communication, orally and in writing.
- Ability to translate medical terminology to provide health literacy for community members
- Must be able to maintain strict confidentiality and follow HIPAA policies and procedures.
- Self-motivation and the ability to work independently with strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.
- This location for this position varies but predominantly based at the PCA office, and in the community.
- Frequent use of keyboard, monitor, mouse, telephone, and/or headset
- CHW will periodically deliver materials and provide outreach such as at NHPI faith-based organizations, NHPI owned and operated businesses, community events, etc. throughout Alaska.
- Understand, practice, and promote the mission and vision of Pacific Community of Alaska.
- Work with CHW team to plan, implement, and evaluate health promotion activities and initiatives.
- Develop strong working relationships through active outreach with a wide range of national, state-wide, local service providers.
- Provide advocacy on behalf of community members in Alaska with target NHPIs
- CHW will provide the following services to individuals, families, and other household members:
- Provide culturally centered education on COVID-19 symptoms, prevention, and monitoring
- Support navigation and advocacy for various essential social services and resources (e.g., access to food, housing support)
- Provide additional support/education for individuals/families with chronic conditions
- Support community testing and/or vaccination for COVID-19
- Support organizational record keeping and data collection requirements
- Must physically live in Anchorage, Alaska
Preference given to Native Hawaiian and Marshallese community members
Pacific Community of Alaska is an Equal Opportunity Employer